The Overwatch Premier Series is set to go off with a bang, as eight of China's best teams will play in the Premier Series Grand Finals starting this Thursday. Teams earned a spot in the event by acquiring tournament points for high placements in the Spring and Summer series. With the top three teams in the Grand Finals earning a share of the ¥700,000 CNY (~$106,200 USD) and the top four teams qualifying for the APAC Premier, the stakes are high for the competing Chinese teams.
Victors of the Summer series, Miraculous Youngster, should secure qualification for the APAC Premier with relative ease as their quarterfinal match up is eighth seed Oh My God, who finished in 11th place in the Summer series. Similarly, runners-up in the Summer series, ViCi Gaming, should advance to the semifinals without too much trouble as the face Lucky Future, who turned in a disappointing 7th-8th finish in the Summer series after finishing third in the Spring series.
Quarterfinal fixtures between LGD Gaming and Miracle Team One and 1246 and FTD Club should prove to be closer affairs. Miracle Team One secured a spot in the Grand Finals purely off their performance in the Summer series, as they did not compete in the Spring series. The team performed strongly, claiming third place in the Bronze Final against LGD Gaming. However, do not count out LGD as they will be looking to return to form after a Summer series performance that was marred by controversy. 1246 have disappointed since claiming the Spring series title. Their opponents FTD Club may not have impressed in the Summer Series but they did take down 1246 in their last match up.
A full list of the competing teams in order of seeding can be found below:
- Miraculous Youngster - 5th-6th Spring, 1st Summer
- 1246 - 1st Spring, 5th-6th Summer
- ViCi Gaming - DNP Spring, 2nd Summer
- LGD Gaming - 2nd Spring, 4th Summer
- Miracle Team One - DNP Spring, 3rd Summer
- Lucky Future - 3rd Spring, 7th-8th Summer
- FTD Club - 7th-8th Spring, 7th-8th Summer
- Oh My God - 4th Spring, 11th Summer
Thursday - September 28th
- 05:00 EDT / 11:00 CEST / 17:00 CST - Quarterfinal - Miraculous Youngster vs. Oh My God
- 07:00 EDT / 13:00 CEST / 19:00 CST - Quarterfinal - LGD Gaming vs. Miracle Team One
Friday - September 29th
- 05:00 EDT / 11:00 CEST / 17:00 CST - Quarterfinal - 1246 vs. FTD Club
- 07:00 EDT / 13:00 CEST / 19:00 CST - Quarterfinal - ViCi Gaming vs. Lucky Future
Saturday - September 30th
- 05:00 EDT / 11:00 CEST / 17:00 CST - Semifinal - TBD vs. TBD
- 07:00 EDT / 13:00 CEST / 19:00 CST - Semifinal - TBD vs. TBD
Sunday - October 1st
- 05:00 EDT / 11:00 CEST / 17:00 CST - Bronze Final - TBD vs. TBD
- 07:00 EDT / 13:00 CEST / 19:00 CST – Grand Final - TBD vs. TBD
The ¥700,000 CNY (~$106,200 USD) prize pot and spots in the APAC Premier will be distrusted as listed below:
- 1st: ¥400,000 CNY (~$60,700 USD) - APAC Premier Qualification
- 2nd: ¥200,000 CNY (~$30,350 USD) - APAC Premier Qualification
- 3rd: ¥100,000 CNY (~$15,150 USD) - APAC Premier Qualification
- 4th: ¥0 CNY - APAC Premier Qualification
Whilst the event has a noticeable prize pool, competitor's focus will be without a doubt on earning one of the four available spots in the APAC Premier. The tournament will feature teams from the Premier Series, Contenders and the Pacific Championship and has a significant ¥1,560,000 CNY (~$236,700 USD) prize pool.